“Cutting a Christmas Tree on Your Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests” brochure is available at all forest offices. As a general rule, no special areas are designated for Christmas tree cutting.
Here are some tips when choosing and cutting your Christmas tree:
· Cut your tree at least 200 feet away from well-traveled roads, flowing water, campgrounds and recreation sites.
· It is permissible to cut trees from the cut banks and fill slopes of lesser-traveled roads.
· Select your trees from thickets or overstocked areas. Avoid removing trees from plantations or other areas where tree growth is sparse.
· Select a tree that is the right height for your needs. Please don’t cut a large tree just to take the top.
· Pile all discarded branches away from roads, ditches and culverts.
· Cut your tree as close to the ground as possible. Stumps should be eight inches or less.
· Attach a permit to each cut tree prior to transporting it in your vehicle.
Have a safe and fun outing! For more information, call the Nez Perce National Forest at (208) 983-1950 or the Clearwater National Forest at (208) 476-4541.